Thoreau Dress Code and Uniform Guidelines
- Khaki or black pants
- Must be hemmed and appropriately fitted.
- Sagging or baggy pants are prohibited.
- No cargo, capris, jean or jean-like (including pants with exterior pockets) and skinny pants, they are prohibited.
- A brown or black belt must be worn
- Khaki or black walking shorts.
- Shorts must be no shorter than the width of a dollar bill above the knee-cap.
- No cargo, capris, jean, or jean-like (including shorts with exterior pockets_ and bike shorts, they are prohibited.
- A brown or black belt must be worn.
- Khaki, black or "Thoreau Plaid" box-pleated skirts.
- Skirts must be no shorter than the width of a dollar bill above the knee-cap.
- Chronic violators of skirt length will be required to wear pants or shorts instead.
- Khaki or black skort.
- Skorts must be no shorter than the width of a dollar bill above the knee-cap.
- Chronic violators of skort length will be required to wear pants or shorts instead.
- White, hunter green, yellow or black solid color, no logo, pique knit shirt (polo style with collar, two or three buttons, short or long sleeve, no pockets, no cap sleeves), as well as a white or yellow Oxford button down collar shirt, solid color, no logo (short or long sleeve).
- All shirts must be worn tucked in.
- Only plain white T-shirts may be worn under a uniform shirt and the outer garment must be the longest.
- Hunter green sweater vest, cardigan, or V-neck with Thoreau logo.
- Hunter green or black sweatshirts may be worn but they must have the Thoreau Academy embroidery on the left side of the chest.
- A collared shirt must be worn underneath.
- Hunter green, black or white turtlenecks may be worn under a uniform shirt.
- Turtlenecks may not be worn alone.
- Footwear with a solid backing or strap over the heel may be worn.
- No flip flops, furry shoes, house shoes or boots.
- Solid black, brown, or white socks.
- Black or opaque hose/tights (must cover the foot, no leggings) may be worn.
- Approved gray polar fleece vest or jacket with Thoreau logo.
- The approved plaid tie may be worn with a button down shirt.
- Jewelry, accessories, make-up, footwear and hair must follow general safety, modesty, and decency guidelines and not be a distraction in class.
- Visible pierced jewelry will be limited to the ear (per TPS Dress Code 2601-R).
- The only colors the hair may be dyed are colors consistent with the natural color of the student's hair.
- Two different color combinations on uniforms are required (no black on black).
- Only approved Thoreau T-shirts, sweaters, vests, and sweatshirts will be permitted.
- C&J School Uniforms carries a full line of Thoreau uniforms.